John Arthur Hammerschmidt, son of the legendary Arkansas Congressman John Paul Hammerschmidt, is being mentioned as a possible candidate to run for the U.S. House seat his father held more than 20 years.
U.S. Rep. John Boozman now holds Arkansas’ 3rd Congressional District, which includes Northwest Arkansas and the Fort Smith area. However, the Republican from Rogers will most likely announce Feb. 6 that he is entering the GOP primary for the U.S. Senate seat.
Roby Brock, owner of TalkBusiness.net and a content partner with The City Wire, mentioned the younger Hammerschmidt in a recent analysis of who might enter the 3rd District race.
In addition to Hammerschmidt, Brock identifies the following as potential candidates.
• Bob Balfe – former U.S. Attorney
• Jonathan Barnett – State Rep. and former Highway Commissioner
• Dave Bisbee – Benton Co. Judge and former State Senator
• Cecile Bledsoe – State Senator from Rogers
• John Brown – former State Senator from Siloam Springs
• Kurt Maddox – Gravette City Councilman
• Doug Matayo – former State Rep. and former Lt. Gov. candidate
• Daryl Pace – former State Rep. from Siloam Springs
• Joseph Wood – one-time candidate for GOP Chairman
• Steve Womack – Mayor of Rogers
The only potential candidate from the Fort Smith area is State Rep. Rick Green, R-Van Buren.
Bernard Skoch, a retired Army general has already announced for seat as a Republican, and Fayetteville city attorney David Whitaker has announced as a Democrat.
Brock provides this analysis: “My sense: Buddy Rogers, Bernie Skoch and Steve Womack are in. Bob Balfe, Rick Green, John Arthur Hammerschmidt, and Asa Hutchinson are studying the race hard. There will be a primary contest, and the thought of having to campaign heavily for the seat may discourage some from entering the field.”
Link here to Brock’s story for more notes on the race and more info on John Arthur Hammerschmidt.