Local News

Perplexed that the unanimous Fort Smith School Board vote to change the Southside High School mascot is still facing intense opposition, Dawson Meadows succumbs to a bleep-inducing request of the primary Rebellious instigator.

Thu, 09/03/2015 - 12:09pm

“You can read five books and know more than 95% of the people out there. But to know more than the other 5%, it will take you the rest of your life.”

Wed, 09/02/2015 - 10:49pm

Fort Smith Fire Chief Mike Richards said his decision to retire Oct. 30 is “strictly personal” and “absolutely has nothing to do” with what has been a tough budgeting process that has included a reduction in fire and police pension benefits.

Wed, 09/02/2015 - 9:33pm

The latest attempt to oppose the change of the mascot and fight song at Southside High School in Fort Smith hinges upon a difference between an official mascot and a “nickname,” according to an injunction filed Tuesday (Sept.

Tue, 09/01/2015 - 4:16pm

Victoria Giles has joined Western Arkansas Ballet as the new dance instructor and will teach tap levels I-III and beginning and intermediate hip hop. In addition, she will offer an 8-week session of musical theatre for ages 6-10 beginning Sept.

Tue, 09/01/2015 - 6:26am

The Federal Aviation Administration is providing $8.5 million to 13 Arkansas airports for upgrades and expansions. The individual grants range from $3.498 million at the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport to $38,000 for the Hot Springs airport.

Tue, 09/01/2015 - 6:14am

A brief unknown drone flyby during the recent NCAA baseball tournament at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville helped push a University of Arkansas policy announced Monday (Aug.

Mon, 08/31/2015 - 5:45pm

Maryl Koeth’s office is located inside the 100-year-old plus historic train station in downtown Van Buren. Koeth is a strikingly attractive, fashionably dressed, professional woman, and at first one might think she is totally out of place in such an old fashioned setting.

Sun, 08/30/2015 - 7:20pm

One could get whiplash watching the last few monthly Fort Smith sales tax revenue reports. The 1% street tax tally was up 11.6% in the May report, down 5.47% in the June report and surging back up to 10.7% in the July report.

Thu, 08/27/2015 - 9:44pm

A “future” school that could teach Fort Smith students how to build “Back To The Future”  style hoverboards is in the works. That’s according to the recent edition of The Video Wire, which has been known to get things wrong. Bad wrong. Frequently.

Thu, 08/27/2015 - 3:16pm

When Dr. Becky Paneitz walked away in 2013 from her 10 years as president of NorthWest Arkansas Community College, she had no long-term plans for what she would tackle next. She wasn’t without challenges.

Thu, 08/27/2015 - 11:51am

Zero Mountain CEO Mark Rumsey is frustrated and concerned about what the city of Fort Smith doesn’t know about a $1,000 a month fire services contract the company has paid the city since July 1987.

Wed, 08/26/2015 - 2:28pm

Siloam Springs Regional Hospital has joined with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) to provide emergency care for stroke patients in the region.

Tue, 08/25/2015 - 6:43am

The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith will host a memorial exhibit from Sept. 8-11 in the Smith-Pendergraft Campus Center commemorating the Sept. 11 attacks.

Tue, 08/25/2015 - 6:40am

Revenue from sales tax collected by Northwest Arkansas’ four largest cities rose 7.13% in August after only fractional gains in July. The cities of Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers and Springdale reported combined sales tax revenue of $5.081 million, compared to $4.743 million a year ago.

Mon, 08/24/2015 - 6:06pm

An application for Future School, a public charter planned for Fort Smith, was filed July 28 with the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). Trish Flanagan says she is “positive about where we are heading,” and is hopeful a large delegation will attend an Oct.

Mon, 08/24/2015 - 5:12pm

A relaxation of off-street parking requirements in commercial zones is hoped to spur new development or redevelopment in older Fayetteville commercial areas. The proposal will be considered by the Fayetteville City Council on Sept.

Mon, 08/24/2015 - 4:12pm

Progress is slow but it’s happening on the much-anticipated 21-mile Bella Vista Bypass that will link Highway 72 near Gravette directly to U.S. 71 in North Bentonville. Chamber of Commerce, state Highway officials and legislators from Benton County gathered Friday morning (Aug.

Fri, 08/21/2015 - 3:29pm

A new adaptive music therapy activity has been launched at five Fort Smith area elderly residential facilities under the direction of Project Compassion.

Thu, 08/20/2015 - 2:14pm

The U.S. Marshals Museum and Walmart U.S. will sell U.S. Marshals Service 225th silver dollar commemorative coins in Fort Smith area stores. Starting Saturday (Aug.

Thu, 08/20/2015 - 12:51pm


Subscribe to Local News