What were the pop culture highlights of 2008?
We here at The City Wire don’t have a clue. Thankfully, the folks at eBay cranked out a press release Monday (Dec. 8) morning giving the culturally illiterate something to talk about now that folks are tired of hearing about our newest iPhone application. (Which is Shazam, by the way.)
The creative talent at eBay took a look at what pop culture items sold the most. They say such sales “identified exactly” the pop culture hits of 2008.
“If it was a hot topic this year, then it was also hot on eBay,” said Karen Bard, eBay's pop culture expert. “When someone or something excites the American public, you immediately see a surge of related listings pop up on eBay.”
eBay’s picks for America's top 10 pop culture obsessions are:
1. Nintendo Wii – 2,056,866 related items sold
2. Xbox 360 – 1,297,903 related items sold
3. Apple's iPod Touch – 281,361 related items sold
4. Hannah Montana – 223,139 related items sold
5. Apple's iPhone 3G – 212,837 related items sold
6. Brett Favre – 199,832 related items sold
7. Barack Obama – 111,546 related items sold
8. High School Musical Cast – 109,813 related items sold
9. Guitar Hero III – 98,159 related items sold
10. Madonna – 96,511 related items sold
Link here if you have even more time to waste reading about pop culture.